Skip to main content

Radical Obedience



On Aug 4th, I began an online Bible study hosted by Proverbs 31 ministries. We are using the book "What Happens When Women Say Yes to God" by Lysa TerKeurst. This week, we've read Chapters 2 and 3 - Hearing God's Voice and When Obedience Becomes Radical.


What is radical obedience?


Radical is defined as "affecting the fundamental nature of something; far-reaching or thorough" and obedience is defined as "compliance with someone's wishes or orders or acknowledgment of their authority."


So, radical obedience is compliance with God's wishes, in acknowledgement of His authority, in a far-reaching way that affects our fundamental nature.


So, what does that look like in my life?


This week, it looks like giving up a few of my favorite television programs. Doesn't seem too radical, huh? Well, nowhere does it say that radical obedience has to take the shape of selling your house and becoming a missionary in Africa or quitting your job to preach on the street corners. Now, it may, for some people, mean just that. But for me, in this moment, God is telling me to give up these shows. So, in order to please God and acknowledge His authority over all areas of my life, I am giving them up.


And really, radical obedience, for most of us, will probably start with a small step. God will ask us to do or say or give up something that will cost us only a little bit of comfort. Once we learn how to say yes to small things, He can begin to get us ready to say YES to big things, in big ways, that may require big sacrifice. I hope we're all ready for that, because once He begins a good work in us, He will see it through to the finish. (Phil 1:6).

Comments

  1. Tanya,
    I really love your recognition that our sacrifice doesn't have to be some grand life decision--it can be every day choices! Being faithful in these small decisions is what leads of a lifelong habit of faithfulness. Thank you for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing, and for reminding us that He'll keep the good work up, regardless of how big or small it may seem. Blessings!
    Lauren, P31 OBS Small Group Leader

    ReplyDelete
  3. It take such courage to share your commitment to obey with others! May you be blessed as you continue learning to say #YestoGod. -Marlene OBS Small Group Leader

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Psalm 139 - Kingdom Woman Bloghop

Crack open your Bible somewhere close to the middle, and you'll find the book of Psalms. Towards the end of the book of Psalms, you will find Psalm 139, and there you will find some very awesome verses about the God who loves you. As part of the Kingdom Woman One Month Journey , we were challenged to focus on this Psalm over the past week. As I read through this Psalm for the 3rd or 4th time, I wrote down some insights, and I figured I'd share them with you. And, I'd love it if you'd leave a comment sharing some of what you've drawn from this passage, as well. First, here's a link to Psalm 139 , in case you don't have your Bible handy. And here's what has really spoken to me this week: Verse 4: God knows what we're going to say before we say it. This means that He can help us control our tongue, our words, if we just ask Him to. As someone who is really trying to do a better job of honoring God in what I say, and how I say it, this verse def

A brief intro...

Two months ago I made the decision to get serious about dropping that 20lbs I'd put on. I'd lost it during a time of extreme stress, so it was not lost in a healthy way, so of course it came right back. But just because it came back didn't mean I had to keep it! This time, I knew I had to do it the right way. So began 6 weeks of calorie restriction. Using  MyFitnessPal , I tracked everything I ate, as well as any exercise I did. I began to run again. Running was a good habit I'd picked up during my stress-filled days, but I'd gotten out of the habit when things in my life returned to normal. Over the course of about six weeks, I lost 10 pounds and over 2 inches off my muffin top. All in all, not a bad result. I would have continued counting calories and running every day, and probably would have lost more weight too. But... Then I found  Nia Shanks . Nia's mindset on women's fitness changed my entire way of thinking. No longer am I counting calories- now